Our Mission:

Our Mission: To enable individuals and communities to take an active part in the cultivation of systems that provide the highest quality fruits, vegetables, herbs and other yields, in a way that benefits themselves, cares for the land and environment, and provides a surplus to use, share and reinvest into the system.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Favorite Gardening Quotes

Crazy weekend here with my truck in the shop, sick dog as well as the typical weekend activities and chores I tried to get done.
 

Here is a quick video of a quiet moment I stole to watch the swallowtail larvae eating.  They sure are growing, and eating so much.  I hope there will be plenty of food for them to grow large enough to pupate!
 
 
Also here is a list of some of my favorite gardening and farming quotes I've saved over time.  Enjoy!
 
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden. I am still devoted to the garden. But though an old man, I am but a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Charles Wilson Peale

George Washington wrote, "...to be a cultivator of land has been my favorite amusement."

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace. ~Aldo Leopold

 The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command." - J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings, Sam Gamgee

To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves. ~Mahatma Gandhi

A garden is a delight to the eye and a solace for the soul. - Sadi

Gardening is the purest of human pleasures. - Francis Bacon

Creating your own urban farm is as simple as planting your flowerbeds with edibles. ~Greg Peterson, My Ordinary Extraordinary Yard: The Story of the Urban Farm, 2009

It is a golden maxim to cultivate the garden for the nose, and the eyes will take care of themselves. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover that I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gardening is civil and social, but it wants the vigor and freedom of the forest and the outlaw. ~Henry David Thoreau

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow. - Author Unknown

Gardening is medicine that does not need a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage. - Author unknown

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. -Author Unknown

Essential advice for the gardener: grow peas of mind, lettuce be thankful, squash selfishness, turnip to help thy neighbor, and always make thyme for loved ones. ~Author Unknown
Gardening is the most therapeutic and defiant act you can do.  Plus you get strawberries!  -Ron Finley

Life begins the day you start a garden. ~Chinese Proverb
 
 
On your mark,
                         get set,
                                        GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment